Thursday, March 29, 2012

Getting Into a Hole You Can't Climb Out Of

I woke up about an hour ago. I got home this morning at about 6AM. I was so disgusted with myself, I can't even remember how I got home.

I had several weird dreams. None of them having to do with poker, but all represented the theme of being happy, mad, sad, disgusted, or surprised.

The first feeling I had when I woke up was me not being +$ for my first sessions of poker as my new job. I remember having the urge to go downstairs and play to get rid of the feeling, but at the same time just mentally drained at the thought of poker. I was relieved to find myself in my own bed.

I can feel that in the back of my head I keep asking myself what went wrong for me not to be +$ like I usually am. Let's review my previous session. Technically for the month I am +$. 2 weeks ago I had a great 3 day session. I had a rate of $134/hr and played a total of 29 hours. You do the math. I was on top of my game during that 3 day run. I stayed EXTREMELY disciplined and NEVER gambled. I bluffed in great places and to inferior players. I never really got into lucky situations during that session but rather I played so well, I was betting correctly to maximize my profit every single hand. I controlled the whole table each night. I was viewed as the strongest player. I was the shark at the table, and everyone knew it. Whenever I felt I might be put in a tough situation on whether to call or fold depending on the next cards to come, I'd simply fold and save money and brain power. The top two things I remember extremely different about that successful 3 day run was I played graveyard hours because I worked graveyard at my regular job. So my body clock was in sync which allowed me to think more efficiently. Imagine you guys who work 9am to 5pm and then playing poker for your money at 11pm till 7am all of a sudden. You'll probably be tired and your brain will be in overdrive to compensate for fatigue. The other difference was my discipline with my money on the table. I did play tight and very aggressive. I hardly ever played in early position such as UTG, +1,+2 unless I had textbook hands. I used the cutoff and hijack positions effectively with medium hands, and played my button a bit loose but aggressively. I also maximized my profit by playing longer and holding onto the money as tight as I could. I would triple my buy in in 4 hours, lose 20% in 2 hours, and increase it by at least 150% in 5 more hours. So there you have it. I think it's pretty obvious why I had such success on that great 3 day run. Lets take a look at the overall picture on my recent sessions.

You'll notice in my previous posts I kept stressing that I got great top starting hands but managed to get the second best hand or was forced to draw to a hand. I played a lot of these top starting hands in wrong positions and against wrong players. Had I just avoided these hands by folding preflop, I most likely would saved a ton of money. This is what I call avoiding sticky situations. I did not avoid these sticky situations. Instead I got my self so deep I could not get out of them. I also never played graveyard except the one night I played at the higher limit table. And of course when I played that night I didn't avoid the sticky situations and ended up losing all my money. I played alot of afternoon to evening shift. I think I'm comfortable with evening-graveyard or just straight graveyard. It seems the worse players are there around that time. And that's the name of the game. Play against the weak players and avoid the strong players. I needed to be much more disciplined. It sounds like such an easy solution...

-King2

No comments:

Post a Comment